Honoring the Birth Experience • Enhancing Patient Satisfaction • Improving Birth Outcomes
When I was a new nurse I learned by watching veteran nurses.
I learned a lot of things … how to administer medications, how to assess contractions, how to interpret fetal heart tracings. But I didn’t learn how important my job was. I was never taught that I had a profound amount of power in my ability to create a beautiful, healing experience for my patient. I didn’t learn birth imprints itself permanently on a woman and her baby’s mind … her baby is literally taught how to understand this world by the way he is touched in the first moments of life. I have the power to make the world better, one woman and baby at a time. What could be a more important job? ~ Kate
Labor and Delivery Nurses make an unforgettable impact on women’s lives. How can we can we use this responsibility to improve women’s experiences of birth?
- How do we provide laboring mothers with the best possible care while using evidence-based practice?
- How can we work collectively to improve birth outcomes by supporting the most physiologic birth possible, while limiting unnecessary interventions?
- How can we as nurses truly honor and celebrate the birth experience as the momentous and life-changing even in a family’s life?
LET’S LEARN TO MAKE BIRTH BETTER, TOGETHER.
A 6-HOUR CONTINUING EDUCATION OFFERING FOR L&D NURSES
• Why Does Birth Matter? The lifelong impact of the birth experience on a family’s life
• Continuous Labor Support (DOULAS): An Evidence-Based Practice
• Non-Pharmacologic Pain Relief Strategies – Movement, music, affirmations, guided relaxation, mindfulness, aromatherapy and hydrotherapy
• Improving Patient Satisfaction through Patient-centered care, Informed Consent and Birth Plans
• Labor Positioning to Facilitate Progress and Reduce Pain
Our workshops are intimate, life-changing gatherings that transform nursing practice.
– We want to teach you the impact that your work has on a woman’s, baby’s, and family’s life FOREVER.
– We want to teach you TOOLS to prevent unnecessary Cesarean Sections! C-Sections are amazing, when needed, but sometimes they aren’t. It is our vision to teach nurses skills to safely prevent Primary Cesarean births, in turn reducing unnecessary complications from repeat C-sections, like postpartum hemorrhage and placental accreta.
– We want you to LOVE your work again, and to teach you skills to provide exceptional customer service.
WHO WE ARE:
Melissa Espey-Mueller has been serving women as a labor support doula for over 15 years. She is the founder and owner of North Dallas Doula Associates, where she has attended hundreds of births throughout the DFW Metroplex. She is an experienced Lamaze-Certified Childbirth Educator, DONA-trained birth doula, and mentor for internationally certifying doulas. She offers trainings specific to OB-GYN resident interns and L&D Nurses on techniques to enhance the childbirth experience. Visit her website at North Dallas Doula Associates.
Kate Novotny is an L&D Nurse (RNC-OB) and DONA-trained birth and postpartum doula. She has worked as a Labor, Delivery and Birth Center RN at hospitals across the country. Kate has won numerous Service Excellence Awards for her unique approach to labor support for her patients. She designed and implemented the Labor Support for Nurses Project (2014-2015) as an evidence-based, continuing education program for L&D Nurses.