NEWS: I HAVE RELOCATED TO OMAHA, NEBRASKA AND AM NO LONGER OFFERING POSTPARTUM SERVICES AT THIS TIME. FOR TRADITIONAL POSTPARTUM CARE I HIGHLY RECOMMEND MAYTE ANGELES NOGUEZ AT WOMB CENTERED DOULA, OAK CLIFF.
Most traditional, mother-honoring cultures wrap mamas’ bellies after birth ~ Native American, Central American, Ayurvedic and East Asian traditions all have similar practices.
Personally, I favor and practice the Bengkung method, due to its beauty, comfort and versatility.
Bengkung is a traditional Malaysian technique using a long, long strip of fabric wrapped and twisted from the lower belly to the bottom of the ribcage.
Women are wrapped soon after birth, day 5 – week 2 after a vaginal birth and 4-6 weeks after a C-Section. The wrap is worn up to 12 hours a day, for 30 days or longer, as needed.
Benefits of Belly Binding
- Provides postural support for the abdominal core and lower pelvic organs, especially the uterus, as they return to pre-pregnancy position
- Supports the healing process of diastasis recti
- Supports the body’s natural spine and posture realignment postpartum
- Reduces excess water and swelling of the tissue and cells
- Stabilizes loose ligaments, especially in the hips and pelvis following birth
- Supports a therapeutic posture while feeding and caring for your new baby
Your body after birth will be different. I don’t offer binding to help your body “bounce back” after birth or to achieve a flat tummy. Your bengkung is meant to offer physical support and structure as you gradually recover from birth.
WHAT DOES THE POSTPARTUM BLESSING INCLUDE?
Wrapping sessions take place in the comfort of your home and include the following:
- Wrap – made from premium muslin, hand-dyed with natural dyes.
- Wrapping session – I wrap you and show you how to wrap yourself. If a friend or your husband is around I can teach them how to help you.
- Sealing ceremony – a warm oil massage to your lower belly, helping reduce swelling and facilitate healthy digestion and uterine involution.
- Telling of your birth story and exploring your postpartum journey. A blessing or prayer going forward to help you understand the process so far and give you strength for the future.
- Breast-feeding check-in to enhance comfort and ease of breastfeeding, especially in the first weeks.
- Herbal bath mix made from lavender, calendula, rosemary and epsom salts. It’s very easy to use, a bath bag is included.
*Babies, friends & family are welcome and encouraged to attend!
- “I had Kate come to my home on Monday evening for a belly binding session and when she left I felt so relaxed and at peace. We chatted about the birth, how life is with two kids, the ups and downs of nursing and everything in between. Just the intimate conversation alone was so healing, the belly binding ended up a bonus. I highly recommend it!” ~ Crystal
- “It was a very peaceful time of processing my birth and letting others care for me and remind me of how important asking for help would be in the upcoming months. Two of my birth supportive friends were there to be encouraging and give affirmations and love and prayers.” ~ Tiffany
Contact me here for more info! Hugs, Kate
NOTE: I don’t offer medical advice or treatment. If you have any questions please consult your physician or midwife.